The Election Commission of India through National Voters Service Portal or through the State’s and Union Territories CEO portals provides this facility. There are two ways to change the address on the voter id first one is if you have moved to a new place within the same Assembly Constituency then you can apply for the change of address by using the Form 8A application form and the second one is if you have moved to the new place outside the Assembly Constituency then you have to shift your Assembly Constituency by using the Form 6. In both the cases, you should be able to produce the new address proof document while applying for it.
How to Apply Voter ID & Voter ID Status Check Explained on YouTube:Sponsored Links
Change of Address on Voter ID Online:
- Visit the NVSP portal or your State’s CEO portal or your Union Territories CEO portal.
- Select Form 8A option from the main menu.
- Voter Id Address change online form FORM-8 will be displayed.
- Now select your State, Assembly Constituency and your Name as per the Voter Id.
- Now choose the correction option as an address change.
- Upload the scanned address proof document and click the submit button.
- After submitting the application form, the acknowledgement will be displayed download it for further reference.
- Because by using the acknowledgement number or reference number you can check the status of your application.
Voter Id Address Change online – https://www.nvsp.in/Sponsored Links
One of the most important pieces of data on a voter’s ID card is the residential address. And besides being on the voter’s ID card the residential address also appears on the voter’s list(which also goes by the name of electoral roll). Thus when there’s a change in the residential address it is important to have the change reflected on the elector’s card. The Electoral Commission of India has consequently put in place measures that make it possible for voters to update their personal details online.
Transposition of voter ID:
The electoral map of India consists of electoral units known as assembly constituencies. Each assembly constituency has a voter’s roll. Every assembly constituency is further divided into polling booths. When considering changing your residential address it is important to ensure that your name does not appear in more than one voter list. It is illegal and you could be liable to punishment. Thus the process of changing your residential address involves getting your name struck off from the former constituency in which you were registered to vote when you were residing in your previous address.Sponsored Links
Circumstances necessitating the change of residential address:
There are two common circumstances which may cause the holder of a voter ID card to decide to change their physical address.
- Being assigned to a polling booth that’s too far away from one’s place of residence. Though such a voter has not relocated to a different assembly constituency they may want to be moved to a polling booth that’s closer to them.
- Changing residences without relocating to a different assembly constituency and thus only requiring having the particular detail updated for purposes of using the Voter ID Card as proof of residence.
In such circumstances what you would need to do to update the residential address is to transpose the voter card by filling a form known as Form 8A. But in a situation where the assembly constituency is being changed as well, you would have to go online to for a new voter application.
Difference between Form 8 and Form 8A:
It is common for confusion to arise between Forms 8 and Forms 8A. The two serve different purposes. Form 8 comes into use mostly when what is being changed or updated is mainly as a result of errors made in the voters’ roll including typographical errors, errors in spelling addresses, names and so on.
Form 8A, on the other hand, is used when what is needed to be changed is the Part Number or the polling booth. It’s also used when there’s a complete change in the residential address of a voter.
How to fill Form 8A:
Form 8A has three sections, all of which should be filled.
In the first section, you should indicate the Serial Number and the Part Number of the electoral roll in which you had previously registered. You should also indicate your EPIC(Elector’s Photo Identity Card) Number.
In the second section, you should indicate your new physical address.
In the third section, you should indicate the new polling booth or the Part Number of where you intend to be voting henceforth.
The form needs to be submitted while accompanied by a document showing proof of address which should be scanned and saved in a PDF format for uploading.
How to Search Name in Voter list, How to Download Electoral Roll PDF, How to Track Voter id Application Status & How to Find Assembly Constituency Explained on YouTube:Sponsored Links